Turkey with Sausage-Pecan Stuffing Recipe
The combination of sweet, savory, crunchy and spicy ingredients makes a fabulous stuffed turkey that's become a tradition at our Thanksgiving dinner. Leftover stuffing can be a meal in itself. Keri Scofield Lawson, Fullerton, California
- 4 medium onions
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) herb stuffing mix
- 1 package (15 ounces) golden raisins
- 1 cup Diamond of California Pecan Halves
- 6 celery ribs, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, curry powder, caraway seeds, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- Canola oil
- Preheat oven to 325°. Slice two onions; set aside. Chop remaining onions.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and chopped onions. Add herb packet from stuffing mixes. Stir in raisins, pecans, celery and seasonings; simmer 10 minutes. Add stuffing mixes and broth; mix well. Cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- Place reserved onions inside turkey. Add 6-7 cups stuffing. (Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; cover and refrigerate.) Skewer openings, tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°, basting often with oil. (Cover and bake reserved stuffing for 1 hour; uncover and bake 10 minutes.) When turkey begins to brown, baste if needed and cover lightly with foil.
- Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey and stuffing. Yield: 12-14 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Turkey with Sausage-Pecan Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p31
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey with Sausage-Pecan Stuffing(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Turkey >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Sausage Stuffing >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Stuffed Turkey >
- Stuffing Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >