Turkey with Sausage-Pecan Stuffing Recipe
The combination of sweet, savory, crunchy and spicy ingredients makes a fabulous stuffed turkey that's become a tradition at our Thanksgiving dinner. Leftover stuffing can be a meal in itself. Keri Scofield Lawson, Fullerton, California
- 4 medium onions
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) herb stuffing mix
- 1 package (15 ounces) golden raisins
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 6 celery ribs, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, curry powder, caraway seeds, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Slice two onions; set aside. Chop remaining onions.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and chopped onions over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Add herb packets from stuffing mixes. Stir in raisins, pecans, celery and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add stuffing mixes and broth; mix well. Cook and stir about 5 minutes.
- Place reserved onions inside turkey. Loosely stuff turkey with 6-7 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up.
- Roast, uncovered, 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in center of stuffing reads 165° and thermometer inserted in thigh reads at least 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Bake remaining stuffing, covered, 1 hour. Uncover; bake 10 minutes.
- Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey and stuffing. Yield: 12 servings (12 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Turkey with Sausage-Pecan Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p31
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey with Sausage-Pecan Stuffing(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Turkey >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Sausage Stuffing >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Stuffed Turkey >
- Stuffing Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >