Turkey with Sausage-Corn Bread Stuffing Recipe
Complement your bird with this savory stuffing from June Kathrein of Delta, Colorado. “I’ve made this recipe for many potlucks and church suppers, and everyone raves about it...even those who usually don’t like stuffing,” says June.
- 2-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound bulk sage pork sausage
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Additional butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the eggs, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute the celery, onions, mushrooms and red pepper in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, seasonings and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cut corn bread into 1/2-in. cubes; fold into sausage mixture.
- 3. Just before baking, loosely stuff the turkey. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 4. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.
- 5. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings (cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly).
- 6. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 45-50 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Yield: 12 servings (16 cups stuffing).
Reviews for Turkey with Sausage-Corn Bread Stuffing
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2013
"Is it just one stalk of celery?"
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2013
"how much is a Bunch of celery? That seems like a lot of celery if it's the whole thing."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC