Turkey with Sausage-Corn Bread Stuffing Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound bulk sage pork sausage
- 1 bunch celery, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Additional butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine the eggs, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 425° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same pan, saute the celery, onions, mushrooms and red pepper in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, seasonings and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cut corn bread into 1/2-in. cubes; fold into sausage mixture.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff the turkey. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together with kitchen string. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings (cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly).
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 45-50 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving. Yield: 12 servings (16 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Turkey with Sausage-Corn Bread Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 2007, p7
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey with Sausage-Corn Bread Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2013
Is it just one stalk of celery?
Reviewed Feb. 5, 2013
how much is a Bunch of celery? That seems like a lot of celery if it's the whole thing.