Turkey With Rye Dressing Recipe
- 1 pound day-old light rye bread, cubed
- 1/2 pound day-old dark rye bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup chopped salted mixed nuts
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Toss bread cubes in a large bowl. In a skillet, saute the onion, apples, celery and garlic in butter until apples and vegetables are tender; add to bread. Add the nuts, seasonings and enough broth to moisten.
- Just before baking, stuff the turkey. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with some of the oil. Cover lightly with a tent of foil.
- Bake at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 185°, brushing with oil occasionally. Remove all stuffing. Yield: 10-12 servings (11 cups stuffing).
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey With Rye Dressing
Sort By :
"I have been making this recipe since the late 90s. My husband's all time favorite dressing/stuffing recipe. Always turns out lovely. We've lived all over the world and this is the one recipe that follows."
"started drying the bread about a week in advance, bagged it with some moisture absorbing packets. this takes planning but the bird was SOOOOO perfect and worth it."
"No, because you are showing a 5 star rating and no reviews to back up that rating. I made this last year at Thanksgiving and I liked it but had made many adjustments. But if I could read what other raters are saying it would be a big help. This is a wonderful break through for rye bread user, but needs user's reviews."