Turkey with Country Ham Stuffing Recipe
As delicious as this is right out of the oven, the bird and stuffing both taste great as leftovers, too. I am careful, though, not to overcook the turkey.
- 3 cups cubed day-old white bread, crust removed
- 3 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread, crust removed
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- Place bread cubes in a single layer in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Place in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook ham in butter for 5-10 minutes or until edges are crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and place over bread cubes.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery, sage, thyme and pepper until vegetables are tender; toss with bread and ham. Stir in enough broth to moisten.
- Just before baking, stuff the turkey. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Bake at 325° for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until the thermometer reads 185°.
- When the turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil and baste if needed. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Turkey with Country Ham Stuffing in Country Woman November/December 1994, p29
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey with Country Ham Stuffing(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 10, 2010
this was good, but next time
i would use little to no broth. the stuffing was too soggy
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Ham >
- Baked Turkey >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Stuffed Turkey >
- Stuffing Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Side Dishes >