Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing Recipe
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (4-1/2 ounces) sliced ripe olives, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green or sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 package (14 ounces) crushed corn bread stuffing or 6 cups crumbled corn bread
- 1 turkey (8 to 10 pounds)
- Melted butter
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Add stuffing and toss lightly. Just before baking, loosely stuff the turkey. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish; refrigerate.
- 2. Skewer openings of turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-3/4 to 3 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 40-50 minutes or until heated through. When the turkey begins to brown, baste if needed; cover lightly with foil.
- 3. For gravy, dissolve bouillon cube in water; set aside. Transfer turkey to a warm platter. Remove stuffing. Pour 1/4 cup pan drippings into a saucepan; whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually add bouillon mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, Serve with turkey and stuffing. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (8 ounces) equals 720 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 178 mg cholesterol, 1,473 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 76 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer