Turkey with Corn Bread Dressing Recipe
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 cups cubed day-old corn bread
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- Melted butter
- 1. In a skillet, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Place in a large bowl with corn bread, crumbs, sage and poultry seasoning. Combine egg substitute and broth; add to corn bread mixture, stirring gently to mix.
- 2. Just before baking, stuff the body cavity and inside the neck with dressing. Skewer or fasten openings. Tie the drumsticks together. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. When turkey begins to brown, cover lightly with a tent of aluminum foil. When turkey is done, allow to stand for 20 minutes. Remove all dressing to a serving bowl. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (4 ounces) equals 663 calories, 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 202 mg cholesterol, 845 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 72 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer