Turkey with Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
- 1 pound chestnuts
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll, cooked and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) crushed seasoned stuffing
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 turkey (18 to 20 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 2 qts. of water to a boil. Cut an "X" in each chestnut; drop into boiling water. Return to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; peel outer shell and inner skin. Coarsely chop chestnuts; set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add sausage, stuffing and chestnuts. Add broth and water; toss to mix.
- 3. Loosely stuff turkey just before roasting. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with oil. Roast, uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- 4. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before removing the stuffing and carving the turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 18 servings (9-10 cups stuffing).
Editor's Note: Stuffing can be prepared as directed and baked separately in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325° for 40 min. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
8 ounce-weight: 787 calories, 37g fat (12g saturated fat), 268mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 78g protein.
Reviews for Turkey with Chestnut Stuffing
"I did not really like this. I wanted to try something new for Thanksgiving, but next year I will go back to my wild rice stuffing."