Turkey with Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
With delicious chopped chestnuts in the savory stuffing, this golden roasted bird is a special Thanksgiving treat. It's a "must" on the menu at the annual holiday meal my family shares with dear friends.Ardis Rollefson, Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- 1 pound chestnuts
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 package (16 ounces) crushed seasoned stuffing
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 turkey (18 to 20 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 2 qts. of water to a boil. Cut an "X" in each chestnut; drop into boiling water. Return to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; peel outer shell and inner skin. Coarsely chop chestnuts; set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add sausage, stuffing and chestnuts. Add broth and water; toss to mix.
- Loosely stuff turkey just before roasting. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with oil. Roast, uncovered, at 325° for 4-1/4 to 4-3/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before removing the stuffing and carving the turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 18 servings (9-10 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Turkey with Chestnut Stuffing in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p31
Reviews for Turkey with Chestnut Stuffing(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 28, 2010
I did not really like this. I wanted to try something new for Thanksgiving, but next year I will go back to my wild rice stuffing.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Turkey >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >
- Pork Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Stuffed Turkey >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >