Turkey with Cherry Stuffing Recipe
This moist stuffing, with its fruity blend of raisins and tart cherries, is a sweet twist on a traditional version. It's a tasty complement to tender poultry slices. Be prepared to dish up second helpings when you serve this bird.
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 5 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries, drained
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a saucepan, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Stir in thyme and poultry seasoning. In a large bowl, combine stuffing, raisins and celery mixture. Add broth and cherries; toss to mix.
- Loosely stuff turkey just before baking. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with oil.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before removing the stuffing and carving the turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 10-12 servings (6 cups stuffing).
Originally published as Turkey with Cherry Stuffing in Country Woman November/December 2000, p31
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey with Cherry Stuffing(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 20, 2012
I found this recipe 10 years ago and it has become a family tradition! This is what stuffing should taste like
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Stuffing Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Side Dishes >