Turkey with Cherry Stuffing Recipe
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 7 ounces unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1-3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- Melted butter
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing cubes, broth, sage, thyme, pepper and salt. Stir in the bacon, celery mixture and cherries.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff the turkey. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Turkey with Cherry Stuffing(1)
Sort By :
I used dried cranberries instead of dried cherries, which worked well. The stuffing tasted very good, however, next time I would season the skin of the turkey with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, etc.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Turkey >
- Cherry Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Roasted Turkey >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Stuffed Turkey >
- Stuffing Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >