Turkey Wild Rice Soup
An area turkey grower shared this recipe with me. A rich and smooth soup, it makes great use of two Minnesota resources—turkey and wild rice. Be prepared to serve seconds! —Terri Holmgren, Swanville, Minnesota
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add the carrots,
- celery and onion; cook and stir until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended; cook until bubbly. Gradually whisk in
- broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir for 1-2
- minutes or until thickened. Stir in the remaining ingredients;
- return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 222 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 533 mg sodium,