Turkey Wild Rice Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 turkey breast tenderloins (3/4 pound each)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the water, wild rice and onion to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute carrot and celery in butter and oil until tender.
- 2. Combine the flour, sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; stir into carrot mixture until blended. Gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in rice. Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Place turkey over rice mixture. Combine the parsley, paprika and remaining salt; sprinkle over turkey. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into turkey reads 170°. Slice turkey; serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
3 ounces cooked turkey with 2/3 cup rice mixture equals 313 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 87 mg cholesterol, 371 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 36 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer