Betty Kleberger of Florissant, Missouri says, "This satisfying soup has an interesting blend of flavors...and it's good for you, too. It's a great way to use up leftover holiday turkey."
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 2 cans (one 49-1/2 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- May be frozen for up to 3 months. Yield: 10 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Turkey Barley Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2004, p49
Reviews for Turkey Vegetable Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 9, 2013
"Very good soup, easy and uses leftover turkey in a satisfying way. I left out the potato and green pepper--yet it was still tasty."