Turkey Turnovers Recipe
These turnovers are tasty and tempting to look at, and they can be served with or without gravy. They're a great way to prepare turkey leftovers so they don't seem like leftovers. My family likes them all year round!
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- In large skillet, saute the celery and onion in butter until tender. Blend in the flour, salt and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add turkey and parsley. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheese. Add sour cream, mixing until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out half of dough into 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Cut into six 6-in. squares. Repeat with second half of dough.
- Place 1/3 cup turkey filling on each square. Fold diagonally to form a triangle; seal edges by pressing down the fork tines. Cut slits in top of turnovers. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 400°. Bake 5-8 minutes longer until the crust is golden brown. Yield: 12 turnovers.
Originally published as Turkey Turnovers in Country Woman January/February 1988, p29
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey Turnovers(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Turkey >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes >
- Thanksgiving Main Dishes >
- Thanksgiving Recipes >
- Turkey Dinner Recipes >
- Turkey Dinners >