- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice and thyme; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine or additional broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. Total cooking time is about 20 minutes. Add the turkey, Romano cheese, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Turkey Thyme Risotto
"Oh my word, this was delicious! It's our favorite way to use up leftover turkey. We've made it several times."
"Very tasty, simple to make and a great way to use up leftover turkey."