Turkey Thyme Risotto Recipe
Our testers couldn't get enough of Sunny McDaniel's delicious and filling risotto with turkey. The Cary, North Carolina reader uses Romano cheese and a hearty portion of fresh mushrooms to create this main dish that's perfect for using up leftover turkey.
- 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender, about 3 minutes. Add rice and thyme; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine or additional broth. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. Total cooking time is about 20 minutes. Add the turkey, Romano cheese, salt and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Thyme Risotto in Light & Tasty April/May 2007, p34
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Turkey Thyme Risotto(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 14, 2013
Very tasty, simple to make and a great way to use up leftover turkey.
More Recipe Collections
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >