- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- Optional toppings: chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips
- In a large skillet, cook turkey, peppers, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in salsa, beans, chili powder and cumin; heat through.
- Divide romaine among four plates. Top with turkey mixture; sprinkle with cilantro and toppings of your choice. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Turkey Taco Salad
Sort By :
Yummy? very hard to find a healthy recipe that taste amazing. I hesitated at the beginning because there were only 3 reviews but the ingredients seemed right. My husband and I loved it and we decided it that is a repeat in our house. What worked best for us was to toss the lettuce and tomatoes with a dressing made of olive oil, lime, cilantro, salt and pepper prior to adding the meat. Also, I made my own tortilla chips. I bought soft tortillas, cut it in strips, mixed them with olive oil and put them in the oven for about 10 minutes. Thumbs up to the creator of this recipe!!
My friend and I hardly spoke until we finished a bowl of this salad; it's that good!!! Substituted parsley and lovage for the cilantro (not a fan), and topped it with tomatoes and shredded four cheese blend. Tortilla chips with a hint of lime went perfectly with this.
I will certainly make this recipe again. We loved it from the first bite. I did make the meat mixture ahead a few hours and chill it. I prefer it cold with the lettuce.
What a nice light but filling salad. I added a few slices of jalapeno and Mexican hot sauce for a little heat. Very tasty.