Turkey Spinach Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablepoon canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs (about 5 slices)
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a small skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, milk, lemon juice, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir in the bread crumbs, spinach and reserved onion. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into a 12-in. x 5-in. loaf; place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon salsa over top.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Drizzle with butter; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 165°. Yield: 10 slices.
1 slice: 299 calories, 14g fat (4g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 25g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Reviews for Turkey Spinach Meat Loaf
"Years ago I started using ground turkey in place of ground beef. A good meatloaf recipe was missing from my life, until I found this one. I've made it a few times now and it is always delicious. Very flavorful. Even people who dislike spinach have enjoyed this meatloaf. I've found my healthier meatloaf replacement!"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.