Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 14-pound turkey)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash poultry seasoning
- Salt, optional
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- 1. In a stock pot, place turkey carcass, water and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 hours.
- 2. Remove carcass from stock. Remove any meat and dice. Return to stock along with rice, onion, celery, carrots, bay leaf and poultry seasoning. Add remaining seasonings to taste. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the rice is cooked. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (5 quarts).
1-2/3 cups: 147 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 1 lean meat
Reviews for Turkey Soup
"We take our Turkey to a BBQ place to have it slow smoked for Thanksgiving. Delicious! Then I tried this soup. Oh my my my! Rave reviews and now a yearly must have! This is our second year of making this soup."
"This recipe is absolutely delicious! I used Cream of Mushroom Soup instead of chicken broth and it gave it the flavor it needed. I would never of thought of adding it. It is really worth all the effort! I didn't use the garlic and onion powder as the Bay leaves, and the Cream of Mushroom soup gave it all the flavor it needed."
"This recipe is absolutely delicious! The Cream of Mushroom Soup gave it the flavor it needed. I would never of thought of adding it. It is really worth all the effort! I didn't use the garlic and onion powder as the Bay leaves, and the Cream of Mushroom soup gave it all the flavor it needed."
"This was a great winter meal. Never thought I would get all of that meat from the carcass.And to think before I would just pitch it in the garbage can."
"I left out the onion powder and used carrot chips instead of grated carrots. I also added some dried parsley and a little chicken soup base to make sure the flavor was a little stronger. I followed the rest of the recipe just as it is, and it was delicious! My boys loved it. I will make this every time I have a turkey."
"Why do you add chicken broth? When I make homemade soup I use the turkey broth only. Other than that the recipe sounds great."
"the addition of "serving Size", one cup, 2 oz. etc. to the nutrition info would be very helpful. Thx"