My daughter got this recipe from her husband's mother. As in many households, our turkey gets picked over for a few days after the holidays. When the carcass is almost clean, it's time to make soup! This soup is especially good on cold winter nights when it's snowing...which happens a lot where I live!
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 14-pound turkey)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash poultry seasoning
- Salt, optional
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Place turkey carcass, water and broth in a large soup kettle. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 hours.
- Remove carcass from stock. Remove any meat and dice. Return to stock
- along with rice, onion, celery, carrots, bay leaf and poultry
- seasoning. Add remaining seasonings to taste. Cover and simmer over
- medium-low heat until the rice is cooked. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8
- servings (3 quarts).