Turkey Soup Recipe
My daughter got this recipe from her husband's mother. As in many households, our turkey gets picked over for a few days after the holidays. When the carcass is almost clean, it's time to make soup! This soup is especially good on cold winter nights when it's snowing...which happens a lot where I live!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 14-pound turkey)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash poultry seasoning
- Salt, optional
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- 1. Place turkey carcass, water and broth in a large soup kettle. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 hours.
- 2. Remove carcass from stock. Remove any meat and dice. Return to stock along with rice, onion, celery, carrots, bay leaf and poultry seasoning. Add remaining seasonings to taste. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the rice is cooked. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC