Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 14-pound turkey)
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 bay leaf
- Dash poultry seasoning
- Salt, optional
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- 1. In a stock pot, place turkey carcass, water and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 hours.
- 2. Remove carcass from stock. Remove any meat and dice. Return to stock along with rice, onion, celery, carrots, bay leaf and poultry seasoning. Add remaining seasonings to taste. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the rice is cooked. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (5 quarts).
1-2/3 cups: 147 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Turkey Soup
"I have not tried this yet but every time I tried making soup from the carcass it came out greasy. I've read all the reviews and it doesn't seem to be a problem with this one. Have I always done something wrong. I will try this when my daughter cleans all the meat off but I would love to hear you advice."
"I have been making Turkey soup for years and always surprised that it seems like something new to so many people. I always use diced potatoes and coarsely chopped veggies. Never tried it with rice. Also use at least 128 oz or so of Turkey broth and water to cover the entire circus, rather than chicken broth. My father swore by a tablespoon or so of turkey soup base depending on taste.... this soup freezes well...again I divide into smaller portions to bring out over the winter months..."
"This was very flavorful. I did add about two cups of turkey meat to it. My husband loved it."
"This recipe is absolutely delicious! I used Cream of Mushroom soup instead of chicken broth and it gave it the flavor it needed. I would never of thought of adding it. It is really worth all the effort! I didn't use the garlic and onion powder as the Bay leaves, and the Cream of Mushroom soup gave it all the flavor it needed."
"This was a great winter meal. Never thought I would get all of that meat from the carcass.And to think before I would just pitch it in the garbage can."
"I left out the onion powder and used carrot chips instead of grated carrots. I also added some dried parsley and a little chicken soup base to make sure the flavor was a little stronger. I followed the rest of the recipe just as it is, and it was delicious! My boys loved it. I will make this every time I have a turkey."
"the addition of "serving Size", one cup, 2 oz. etc. to the nutrition info would be very helpful. Thx"