Turkey Soup with Slickers
Our grandson calls this "bone soup" because I make it with Thanksgiving turkey bones! The recipe for slickers—half dumplings, half egg noodles— comes from my grandmother.
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours + cooling
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 14-pound turkey)
- 5 quarts water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, add the first nine ingredients.
- Slowly bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 2 hours. Discard bay leaves. Remove carcass; set aside until cool
- enough to handle. Remove turkey from bones; discard bones. Cut
- turkey into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup of the broth and egg. Stir in enough
- flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 8-10
- times or until smooth. Divide dough in half; roll out each piece to
- 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 2-in. x 1/4-in. strips.
- Add dill and poultry seasoning to remaining broth; bring to a gentle