Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey breast carcass (from an 8-pound turkey breast)
- 3 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Place carcass, water, bouillon and bay leaves in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove carcass; cool.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set meat aside. Discard bones. Strain broth and skim fat; discard bay leaves. Add rice and barley to broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender. Add cubed turkey, parsley and reserved turkey; heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Turkey Soup(4)
Sort By :
Easy and delicious with the barley! Tastes great even the 2nd day
Great way to use up the veggies and turkey. To make it even heartier, I diced up a sweet potato (potato is also great) and added about 1.5 teaspoons of dried thyme. Poultry seasoning would also add to the flavor. :) Great recipe.
Great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken. It was very easy to put together.
Easy to make, light soup just the right mix of vegetables - you can freeze the stock and turkey pieces, add fresh rice or orzo pasta and carrots and you're good.