Turkey Sloppy Joes with Avocado Slaw Recipe
Sloppy Joes are a suppertime staple, but my friends always say this avocado slaw makes them seem brand new. The creamy, tangy slaw tastes perfect with the savory sandwich filling. Try them—you’ll agree! —Jacyn Siebert, Walnut Creek, CA
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups coleslaw mix
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- 1. In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 7-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Stir in sloppy joe mix, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile, place avocado, oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in coleslaw mix. Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms and top with slaw. Replace tops. Yield: 6 servings.
1 sandwich equals 402 calories, 20 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC