Turkey Sloppy Joes with Avocado Slaw Recipe
Sloppy Joes are a suppertime staple, but my friends always say this avocado slaw makes them seem brand new. The creamy, tangy slaw tastes perfect with the savory sandwich filling. Try them—you’ll agree! —Jacyn Siebert, Walnut Creek, CA
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups coleslaw mix
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 7-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain.
- Stir in sloppy joe mix, tomato paste and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place avocado, oil, lemon juice, cumin, salt and pepper in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in coleslaw mix. Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms and top with slaw. Replace tops. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Sloppy Joes with Avocado Slaw in Simple & Delicious June/July 2013, p19
Reviews for Turkey Sloppy Joes with Avocado Slaw(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 25, 2013
I'm always on the look out of quick and easy recipes so I thought I give this one a try. The avocado slaw was intriguing, but I was disappointed. The was no flavor.
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Turkey Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Simple Dinner Recipes >
- Simple Recipes >
- Simple Sandwich Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Dinner Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Sandwiches >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Simple Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Tomato Recipes >