Turkey Sausage with Root Vegetables Recipe
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cubed peeled rutabaga
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 4 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onion, rutabaga and carrots in oil for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add the potatoes, broth, thyme, sage, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Place cabbage wedges on top. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes and cabbage are tender.
- 2. Carefully remove cabbage to a shallow serving bowl; keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Combine the flour and water until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley and vinegar. Spoon over cabbage. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 231 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 781 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.