Turkey Sausage with Pasta
Love Italian food? You'll be craving what's good for you when this turkey dish is on the menu. It balances meat, pasta and the best of the garden's bounty. —Mary Tallman, Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Crumble sausage into a large nonstick skillet. Add the onion, green
- pepper and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer
- pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning and chili powder. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Serve
- sausage mixture over pasta; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup sausage mixture with 1 cup pasta equals 396 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 679 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein.