Turkey Sausage Bean Soup Recipe
- 4 Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 cup chopped peeled celery root or turnip
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef base
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, fennel and celery root over medium heat 4-5 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, water, bay leaves, beef base, Italian seasoning and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in beans; heat through. Remove bay leaves. If desired, top servings with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze soup without cheese in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. If desired, top with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without cheese): 168 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 585mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat.