This recipe is from my great-grandmother, though I've added a few ingredients to make it my own. Serve it with a side salad and some artisan bread for a wonderful, hearty family dinner. —Terrel Porter-Smith, Los Osos, California
Recommended: 40 Flavor-Packed Healthy Soup Recipes
- 4 Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1 cup chopped peeled celery root or turnip
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium beef base
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, onion, fennel and celery root over medium heat 4-5 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomatoes, water, bay leaves, beef base, Italian seasoning and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in beans; heat through. Remove bay leaves. If desired, top servings with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze soup without cheese in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. If desired, top with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Turkey Sausage Bean Stoup in Diabetes Family Friendly Cookbook Fall 2014, p67
Reviews for Turkey Sausage Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review