Turkey Sausage & Spinach Orecchiette Recipe
Don't let a funny sounding word like orecchiete scare you away. These little ear pasta shapes are the perfect partner for spicy turkey sausage and Italian seasoning. —Andrea Phillips, Lakeville, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1/2 pound uncooked orecchiette or small tube pasta
- 3 hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup rinsed and drained white kidney or cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Additional shredded Asiago cheese, optional
- 1. Cook orecchiette according to package directions.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook and stir the sausage, onion, garlic and pepper flakes over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add the spinach, Asiago cheese, Parmesan cheese, beans, peppers and Italian seasoning; cook just until spinach is wilted, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Drain orecchiette; add to sausage mixture and toss to combine. Sprinkle with additional Asiago cheese if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC