Turkey Sandwiches With Red Pepper Hummus
A homemade red pepper hummus from our home economists sets this grilled sandwich apart from all the rest. Feel free to experiment with other varieties of breads, meats and cheeses.
4 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- 8 thin slices cooked turkey
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- For hummus, combine the first seven ingredients in a blender; cover
- and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and
- refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread; spread hummus on
- the other side. Place four slices buttered side down on a griddle.
- Layer with cheese, turkey, onion, tomatoes and remaining bread,
- hummus side down. Toast for 2-3 minutes on each side or until bread