This salad makes a colorful side dish when served with soup and sandwiches, but it's hearty enough to double as a meal in itself, notes reader Lethea Weber of Macomb, Illinois. "The curry and chutney lend a nice zip to the dressing," she adds.
Recommended: 30 Fall Harvest Salads
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1-1/4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup long grain rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chutney
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Lettuce leaves and tomato wedges
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Add peas. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the peas, turkey, rice, carrot and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream, lemon juice, chutney, oil, curry powder, salt and pepper. Add to turkey mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve over lettuce; top with tomato wedges. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Rice Salad in Country Woman March/April 2004, p37