Turkey Rice and Barley Soup Recipe
Myrna Sisel of Green Bay, Wisconsin makes the most of her turkey by simmering the carcass to create this soup that's warm and comforting on a cold winter's day The golden broth is full of rice, barley and colorful veggies.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours YIELD:12 servings
- 1 leftover turkey breast carcass (from an 8-pound turkey breast)
- 3 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1. Place carcass, water, bouillon and bay leaves in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove carcass; cool.
- 2. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set meat aside. Discard bones. Strain broth and skim fat; discard bay leaves. Add rice and barley to broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Stir in the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender. Add cubed turkey, parsley and reserved turkey; heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC