Turkey Rice and Barley Soup
Myrna Sisel of Green Bay, Wisconsin makes the most of her turkey by simmering the carcass to create this soup that's warm and comforting on a cold winter's day The golden broth is full of rice, barley and colorful veggies.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 1 leftover turkey breast carcass (from an 8-pound turkey breast)
- 3 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Place carcass, water, bouillon and bay leaves in a Dutch oven; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove
- carcass; cool.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set meat aside.
- Discard bones. Strain broth and skim fat; discard bay leaves. Add
- rice and barley to broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and
- simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper; cover