- 1 leftover turkey breast carcass (from an 8-pound turkey breast)
- 3 quarts water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Place carcass, water, bouillon and bay leaves in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Remove carcass; cool.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set meat aside. Discard bones. Strain broth and skim fat; discard bay leaves. Add rice and barley to broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender. Add cubed turkey, parsley and reserved turkey; heat through. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Turkey Rice and Barley Soup
Sort By :
"Great way to use leftover holiday turkey. I left out chicken bouillon granules and used cooked brown rice instead of instant rice; other than that I followed the recipe as it stated. This hearty soup was so flavorful and delicious that my family asked for more. Definitely I will make this again. Thanks for sharing"
"Easy and delicious with the barley! Tastes great even the 2nd day"
"Great way to use up the veggies and turkey. To make it even heartier, I diced up a sweet potato (potato is also great) and added about 1.5 teaspoons of dried thyme. Poultry seasoning would also add to the flavor. :) Great recipe."
"Great way to use up leftover turkey or chicken. It was very easy to put together."
"Easy to make, light soup just the right mix of vegetables - you can freeze the stock and turkey pieces, add fresh rice or orzo pasta and carrots and you're good."