Chris Boshoven of Hebron, Indiana told us she's had this recipe in her files for a long time and it's always a lunchtime favorite. She recommends draining the cabbage well, otherwise the sandwich will get soggy.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli turkey
- 2/3 cup canned sweet-and-sour red cabbage
- 2 slices (1/2 ounce each) Monterey Jack cheese
- Spread butter over one side of each slice of bread; spread mayonnaise
- over the other side. On the mayonnaise side of two slices, layer the
- turkey, cabbage and cheese; top with remaining bread, buttered side
- On a griddle or in a large skillet, toast sandwiches over medium heat
- for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich (prepared with reduced-fat butter, fat-free mayonnaise and reduced-fat cheese) equals 352 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1,530 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.