With its golden brown crust and scrumptious filling, these comforting potpies will warm you down to your toes. Because it makes two, you can eat one now and freeze the other for later. They bake and cut beautifully. —Laurie Jensen, Cadillac, Michigan
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a Dutch oven, saute potatoes, carrots, onion and celery in butter and oil until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in turkey, peas, 1/2 cup cream, parsley, garlic salt and pepper.
- Spoon into two ungreased 9-in. pie plates. Roll out pastry to fit top of each pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut out a decorative center or cut slits in pastry. In a small bowl, whisk egg and remaining cream; brush over pastry.
Bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked potpies up to 3 months. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 425°. Place pie on a baking sheet; cover edge loosely with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; remove foil. Bake 55-60 minutes longer or until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 2 pies (6 servings each).
Originally published as Turkey Potpies in Taste of Home December/January 2008, p30
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey Potpies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review