- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12 ounces uncooked penne
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey, mushrooms, onions, carrots and garlic; cook 10-12 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in broth, wine, water, tomato paste, herbs, seasonings and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cook penne according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Portobello Turkey Bolognese in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2015, p138
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Turkey Portobello Bolognese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review