Turkey Pasta Soup Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large stock pot, cook turkey, onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the broth, beans, tomatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. Drain pasta and add to the soup. Cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
1-1/3 cup equals 211 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 868 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.