Turkey Mushroom Sandwich Bowls Recipe
- 4 French rolls
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- Minced fresh chives
- 1. Cut a 1/2-in. slice off the top of each roll; set aside tops. Hollow out centers, leaving 1/4-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush tops and inside of rolls with butter; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add vermouth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- 3. Combine the flour, salt, pepper and cream; stir until smooth. Stir into skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in turkey; heat through.
- 4. Spoon into hollowed rolls; garnish with chives. Replace tops. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich equals 884 calories, 55 g fat (27 g saturated fat), 238 mg cholesterol, 816 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 50 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer