Turkey Mushroom Sandwich Bowls Recipe
- 4 French rolls
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- Minced fresh chives
- 1. Cut a 1/2-in. slice off the top of each roll; set aside tops. Hollow out centers, leaving 1/4-in. shells (discard removed bread or save for another use). Brush tops and inside of rolls with butter; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Add vermouth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- 3. Combine the flour, salt, pepper and cream; stir until smooth. Stir into skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in turkey; heat through.
- 4. Spoon into hollowed rolls; garnish with chives. Replace tops. Yield: 4 servings.
1 sandwich: 884 calories, 55g fat (27g saturated fat), 238mg cholesterol, 816mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 50g protein.
Reviews for Turkey Mushroom Sandwich Bowls
"This was fine, but was no where worth the effort. We thought there needed to be 3-4 times as much mushrooms in order to make it "mushroom-packed"; there were very few in each serving as written. I'd double the onion too. We also thought it had twice as much turkey as it needed for the amount of sauce it had.We used 3/4 cup whipping cream and 1/2 cup 2% milk and it thickened just fine. Didn't mix the flour with the cream, but added the flour to the sauted veggies like for a white sauce. Didn't get any lumps in the sauce.Served it over toast instead of making French rolls. Later had it over rice. Both options were good."