I slow cook ground turkey in a hoisin, soy and sesame sauce along with fresh veggies for a finger-licking filling for egg rolls. These egg rolls are a favorite appetizer with guests—I never have leftovers!—Sarah Herse, Brooklyn, New York
Recommended: Spring-ish Recipes to Make In April
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 42 egg roll wrappers
- Oil for frying
- Sweet-and-sour sauce or Chinese-style mustard, optional
- In a large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in mushrooms, leeks, celery, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and garlic. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender. Stir water chestnuts and green onions into turkey mixture; cool slightly.
- With one corner of an egg roll wrapper facing you, place 2 tablespoons filling just below center of wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling; moisten remaining wrapper edges with water. Fold side corners toward center over filling. Roll egg roll up tightly, pressing at tip to seal. Repeat.
In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls, a few at a time, 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with sweet-and-sour sauce.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unfried egg rolls on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, fry egg rolls as recipe directs, increasing cooking time to 4-5 minutes. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Turkey-Mushroom Egg Rolls in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p89
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Turkey-Mushroom Egg Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review