Turkey Muffuletta Recipe
You have to resist the temptation to eat this impressive, multi-layered sandwich immediately! It needs to "rest" at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to meld. But it's worth the wait. —Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 pound sliced deli turkey
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 3 tablespoons shredded Romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut bread in half lengthwise; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, basil, garlic, salt and pepper flakes; brush over cut sides of bread.
- 3. In the bottom bread shell, layer with turkey, provolone cheese, red peppers, olives and tomato. Sprinkle with Romano cheese, oregano and pepper. Replace bread top.
- 4. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cut into slices. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Turkey Muffuletta
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC