Turkey Minestrone Recipe
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 pound hot Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Pinch pepper
- 1. In a stockpot over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the next six ingredients; cook until meat is no longer pink.
- 2. Add the tomatoes, broth, zucchini and mixed vegetables; cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, macaroni, vinegar, salt if desired and pepper; simmer for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
1 cup: 132 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 538mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Turkey Minestrone
"This looked like a lot of trouble to make, but was very simple. It has fast become one of my favorites for cold nights. Makes more than enough to freeze for a second dinner."
"I have been using this recipe for well over 10 years and got it from the Taste of Home cookbook published in 1998. It is quick, easy, and very flavorful. It's definitely one of my all-time favorites."
"This was so girls my kids even enjoyed it. I skipped the parsley because I didn't have any though. The spicy sausage gives it just the right amount of kick."