Turkey Meatball Subs Recipe
Here's an easy and nutritious way to make meatballs without all the mess of frying. Slather them with spaghetti sauce and tuck them in a sub sandwich roll-and you have a hearty lunch in hand that folks of all ages simply gobble up. -Cheryl Maczko Arthurdale, West Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 to 6 submarine or hoagie buns, split
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the onion, green pepper, garlic, parsley and seasonings. Stir in 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on a greased broiler pan. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8 minutes. Turn and broil 3-5 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink.
- 3. Transfer the meatballs to a large saucepan; add remaining spaghetti sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve meatballs and sauce on buns. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 503 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 1,257 mg sodium, 61 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC