Here's an easy and nutritious way to make meatballs without all the mess of frying. Slather them with spaghetti sauce and tuck them in a sub sandwich roll-and you have a hearty lunch in hand that folks of all ages simply gobble up. -Cheryl Maczko Arthurdale, West Virginia
Recommended: Slow Cooker Sandwich Recipes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 4 to 6 submarine or hoagie buns, split
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the onion, green pepper, garlic, parsley and seasonings. Stir in 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on a greased broiler pan. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 8 minutes. Turn and broil 3-5 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink.
- Transfer the meatballs to a large saucepan; add remaining spaghetti sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Serve meatballs and sauce on buns. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Meatball Subs in Taste of Home December/January 2005, p39
Reviews for Turkey Meatball Subs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 30, 2009
"Excellent recipe. I don't like ground turkey so I used ground beef instead."