Turkey Meatball Gyros Recipe
My whole family loves these, and I appreciate how quick and easy they are. The meatballs can be made the night before or made in a big batch to freeze and use as needed. —Jennifer Coduto, Kent, Ohio
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 8 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, egg and seasonings. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 16 balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a rack coated with cooking spray in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until no longer pink.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, onion and lemon juice. Line pitas with lettuce and tomatoes; add meatballs and drizzle with yogurt sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
2 filled pita pocket halves equals 439 calories, 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 145 mg cholesterol, 975 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 32 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC