Turkey Gyros Recipe
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound turkey breast tenderloin, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt-free Greek seasoning
- 1-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 8 thin tomato slices
- 4 whole pita breads, warmed
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Finely chop a third of the cucumber. For sauce, mix sour cream, onion, dill, lemon juice and chopped cucumber. Thinly slice remaining cucumber.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute turkey until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in Greek seasoning. Serve turkey, lettuce, tomato and sliced cucumber on pitas; top with sauce and cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
To make your own salt-free Greek seasoning: Mix 1-1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 1 tsp. each dried mint and dried thyme and 1/2 tsp. each dried basil, dried marjoram and dried minced onion and 1/4 tsp. dried minced garlic. Store airtight in a cool dry place up to 6 months. Yield: 2 Tbsp.
1 sandwich: 307 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 422mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Turkey Gyros
"Very good! Nice flavors."