Turkey Enchilada Stack Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. In a large skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, minced onion, garlic powder, pepper and salt; heat through.
- 2. In a 2-1/2-qt. round microwave-safe dish coated with cooking spray, layer one tortilla, about 3/4 cup meat mixture and a scant 3 tablespoons cheese. Repeat layers three times. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with toppings if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 piece (calculated without optional ingredients): 404 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 582mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Turkey Enchilada Stack
"Made this to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. It is simple and delicious. To save money, I just bought one 15 ounce can of tomato sauce and it turned out fine."
"I made some adjustments to this recipe to avoid buying things I knew I wouldn't be using or needing to use in a while. Instead of dried onion I used about 1/3 cup real onion and sautéed it with a jalepeno. I then only had 3/4 lb of turkey so I used that...with 1.75 cups of tomato sauce...I added about 1/4 cup salsa. When I was assembling I only had 2 whole wheat tortillas but I had corn tortillas so I made the bottom layer as specified...then the corn tortilla and then the last whole wheat tortilla. I was very pleased with how quick it all went together and it tasted delish...I'm glad I added a corn tortilla it gave it a little more flavor I think! I served it with the shredded lettuce and sour cream."
"I love this recipe, it is so easy to make. As a variant to the original recipe, I spread fat free refried beans on the second and fourth tortilla in addition to the original ingredients. I also add about a teaspoon of chili powder to the ground turkey mixture, gives it a little extra "kick"!"
"I've made this recipe twice now as is and it was a hit with my guys. You could do a lot of additions and be creative by adding other ingredients such as chopped green chilies or diced peppers and onions, black olives, beans-either black or kidney, beef or shredded chicken or turkey instead of ground turkey, or even substitute the tomato sauce for enchilada sauce. The meat can be cooked in a microwave instead of a skillet for even more convenience and time saving."