Turkey Dumpling Stew Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1-1/2 pounds turkey breast tenderloins, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings.
- 2. Cook turkey in the drippings until no longer pink. Add the carrots, 1-3/4 cups of water, broth, onions, celery, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into turkey mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Stir in the salt, pepper and reserved bacon.
- 4. In a small bowl, combine biscuit mix and milk. Drop batter in six mounds onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 284 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 822mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Turkey Dumpling Stew
"This recipe is very tasty. I added frozen peas and corn just before finishing cooking carrots."
"very good, used drums and wings to make broth, a bit more bacon grease than suggested. sprigs of fresh rosemary and tyme and gluten free flour and mix."
"Excellent flavor and easy. I use the jars of real bacon and then use non-stick spray to saute the turkey."
"It is healthy if you use the reduce sodium bacon. I think this is a keeper! Negetive comments should be kept to oneself. Nice people don't do that."
"This is not a healthy recipe when it contains bacon"