This recipe is a great way to use up leftover turkey after the holidays.—Jacque Capurro, Anchorage, Alaska
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups finely chopped cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped tart apple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cranberries
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in turkey, sweet potato, salt, pepper and cayenne. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, toss apple with lemon juice. Stir in remaining salsa ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
- For croquettes, in a shallow bowl, beat eggs and water. Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Shape turkey mixture into 1-1/2-in. balls. Roll in flour; shake off excess. Roll in egg mixture, then in crumbs, patting to help coating adhere.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry croquettes, a few at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with cranberry salsa. Yield: 16 croquettes (2 cups salsa).
Originally published as Turkey Croquettes with Cranberry Salsa in Country Woman November/December 2000, p31
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Turkey Croquettes with Cranberry Salsa
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review