Turkey Cigars with Cranberry-Dijon Dipping Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground walnuts, divided
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x9 inches)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- DIPPING SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1. In a small skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, parsley, cranberry sauce, 1 teaspoon walnuts, honey, mustard, salt and pepper.
- 2. Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface with a long side facing you; brush with butter. Repeat with three more sheets of phyllo, brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.)
- 3. Cut the stack widthwise into four strips. Place 2 tablespoons turkey mixture along one long side of each strip; roll up tightly. Pinch edges to seal. Cut roll in half; place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat. Brush tops with butter; sprinkle with remaining walnuts.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. For dipping sauce, in a microwave, heat cranberry sauce until softened. Stir in mustard. Serve with appetizers. Yield: 2 dozen (1 cup sauce).
1 appetizer with 2 teaspoons sauce equals 76 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.