Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3/4 cup each chopped onion, celery and green pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, onion, celery and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, chili beans, water, corn and seasonings. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- 3. Reduce heat to low; cook for 5-6 hours. Add kidney and pinto beans; cook 30 minutes longer. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 13 servings.
1 cup equals 190 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 739 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.