Turkey Chili with Pasta Recipe
- 1 package (20 ounces) lean ground turkey
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, thinly sliced green onions and ripe olives
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the turkey, celery, green pepper, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add the juices, tomato sauce, brown sugar, seasonings and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Add beans and macaroni to turkey mixture; heat through. Discard bay leaf before serving. Garnish servings with toppings of your choice. Yield: 10 servings (4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional toppings) equals 258 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 987 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.